[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: Sifflet visual programming language, release 1.0!

Henk-Jan van Tuyl hjgtuyl at chello.nl
Fri Aug 20 04:35:47 EDT 2010

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 08:30:24 +0200, Andrew Coppin
<andrewcoppin at btinternet.com> wrote:

> gdweber at iue.edu wrote:
> The problem is not usually that the C library doesn't exist for Windows
> (they tend to be widely portable, in fact). Rather, the problem is that
> Cabal won't build the Haskell binding. I've tried in the past, and I've
> never yet got it to work even once. The only known exception is Gtk2hs,
> which somehow manages to build on Windows.
>
> In the case of Curl, Cabal downloads it, unpacks it, sees that it uses a
> autoconf script and dies. (At least Cabal now correctly reports the
> /cause/ of the problem - the configure script.) Things like autoconf,
> automake, bash, sed, awk, etc. do not usually exist on Windows, so any
> packages that require these tools won't build. And even the packages
> that don't usually fall over being unable to find the C headers in
> C:\usr\local or something dumb like that.

Curl compiles without problems on my Windows XP system. There is a
HaskellWiki page [0] that describes how to compile packages with Unix
scripts on Windows systems.

Regards,
Henk-Jan van Tuyl

[0] http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Windows#Tools_for_compilation