[Haskell-cafe] Embedded scripting Language for haskell app

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Wed Aug 18 13:18:16 EDT 2010

Wouter Swierstra wrote:
>>> Can some one please give me a suggestion on the best choice for an
>>> embedded
>>> scripting Language for a haskell application?
>>>

> Why not use Haskell itself?

That's not a half-bad idea. However, installing the whole of GHC (or
worse, HP) just to do a little scripting is almost the very definition
of the term "overkill".

I don't know if Hugs or JHC would be any easier.

Then again, how many embedded script languages need Software
Transactional Memory, Nested Data Parallelism, the Foreign Function
Interface, advanced program optimisation capabilities, and all the other
things that GHC provides? I think there would probably be some mileage
in somebody building a simplified Haskell interpretter specifically for
embedding as a scripting language.