[Haskell-cafe] Re: String vs ByteString

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Sat Aug 14 06:35:31 EDT 2010

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic wrote:
> Andrew Coppin <andrewcoppin at btinternet.com> writes:
>

>> More importantly: How does the average random Haskeller discover that
>> a package has become available that might be relevant to their work?
>>

> Look on Hackage; subscribe to mailing lists (where package maintainers
> should really write announcement emails), etc.

OK. I guess I must have missed that one...

> It's rather surprising you haven't heard of text: it is for benchmarking
> this that Bryan wrote criterion; there's emails on -cafe and blog posts
> that mention it on a semi-regular basis, etc.

Well, I suppose I don't do a lot of text processing work... If all
you're trying to do is parse commands from an interactive terminal
prompt, [Char] is probably good enough.

(What I do do is process big chunks of binary data - which is what
ByteString is intended for.)