[Haskell-cafe] Build failure for PortMidi on mac: incorrect Block.h

Stephen Tetley stephen.tetley at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 02:05:25 EDT 2010

Hello Brian

Possibly you need to supply extra-include-dirs (and extra-lib-dirs) to cabal.

It looks like a C header can't be parsed - the Haskell FFI
preprocessor will try to compile pmmacosxcm.c by calling out to a C
compiler before GHC compiles the Haskell source. Unless the C header
is wrong - unlikely in a established library like PortAudio, header
files generally fail to parse only when they can't find other headers
to include.

I'm afraid I can't help on which particular extra-include-dirs you
might need as I've never run PortAudio / PortMidi on OSX. On Windows I
did find that I needed the latest PartAudio release, I couldn't get
"previous stable" stable versions to compile with MinGW.

Best wishes

Stephen