[Haskell-cafe] Preview the new haddock look and take a short survey

Ben Millwood haskell at benmachine.co.uk
Fri Aug 6 09:39:18 EDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 2:35 PM, Dino Morelli <dino at ui3.info> wrote:

> One thing I haven't seen anyone else comment on is the width of the new
> docs. I have a large (26") monitor and use the browser full-screen (with
> xmonad, so even more screen space). When I load these pages, particularly
> the non-frame one, something like 50% of my screen real-estate is empty
> whitespace on either side of the doc content. There is also wasted space
> in the frames version, just a little less of it. I wish the docs were
> using that space like the current Haddock does. Is the plan to use a
> fixed width like this?
>
> Please say no, it's a disappointing trend that you see everywhere. Like
> Twitter's web interface, for instance, very narrow.

Yeah, I wrote about this in my survey response. It seems to me that if
I find text in a narrow page more readable, I can easily just resize
my browser window, this doesn't need to be enforced by the webpage
itself.

I'm also not so enthusiastic about tabbed synposis. I'm not convinced
you can easily use the synopsis and doc text simultaneously, so I
don't see any reason for it to be apart from the text body. Simplicity
is a virtue :)

I do think that in terms of colours, fonts etc. it's prettier, but the
fixed max width and kind of gimmicky synopsis tab are steps backward
in my opinion.