[Haskell-cafe] Re: can Haskell do everyting as we want?

aditya siram aditya.siram at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 11:33:10 EDT 2010

I think what the OP is asking for is a killer application of Haskell - Ruby,
for example, is great for web programming because of Rails.

The Haskell community is somewhat unique in that it has many killer apps and
that confuses people.  It's great for version control (Darcs), window
managers (XMonad), parsing grammers (Parsec), concurrency (would STM be
considered a killer app?) etc. etc.

People outside the community get flustered because they keep trying to peg
the language as more suitable to one domain than another.

To the OP, while Haskell is not perfect (Jeremy Shaw already mentioned the
garbage-collector issue) it seems as though you could get pretty far before
you hit a wall. So pick a domain and have at it!

-deech