[Haskell-cafe] Cabal LD errors

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Mon Aug 2 00:52:09 EDT 2010

Gregory Collins wrote:
> wren ng thornton <wren at freegeek.org> writes:
>
>> So I'm getting some weird linking errors from cabal-install when doing `cabal
>> configure && cabal build`
>>
>> ld warning: atom sorting error for
>> _postazm0zi2zi0_DataziMonoidziOrdziArgmax_Max_closure_tbl and
>> _postazm0zi2zi0_DataziMonoidziOrdziArgmax_Min_closure_tbl in
>> dist/build/Data/Monoid/Ord/Argmax.o
>>
>> ld warning: atom sorting error for
>> _postazm0zi2zi0_DataziMonoidziOrdziArgmax_Max_closure_tbl and
>> _postazm0zi2zi0_DataziMonoidziOrdziArgmax_Min_closure_tbl in
>> dist/build/Data/Monoid/Ord/Argmax.o
>>
>> But cabal doesn't quit with an error code or anything. Doing `ghc --make
>> Data/Monoid/Ord/Argmax.hs` works just fine without warnings. Anyone know what
>> could cause them, or how to fix it?
>
> If this is on OSX, my understanding is that these messages are harmless.

> Apparently this has been fixed for 6.12, if you have a later version and
> it's still happening it's a regression and you should re-open the
> ticket.

It's OSX 10.5.8 and GHC 6.12.1 as packaged in
haskell-platform-2010.1.0.1-i386.dmg

It looks like that bug might only be fixed in 6.12.2? I dunno, Trac
really needs some way of telling which non-HEAD version finally includes
the fixes that close a ticket. I can never figure that out from reading
the ticket...

--
Live well,
~wren