[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: parsec2 - a fork or parsec circa 2.1

Antoine Latter aslatter at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 22:27:47 EDT 2010

Hello,

I would like to announce the parsec2 package, which is a maintained
fork of the parsec library as of version 2.1.0.1.

This project is for folks who would like to use the simpler interface
and fewer extensions relative to parsec-3.0+, but don't want to rely
on an old version of a package on hackage.

Parsec is designed from scratch as an industrial-strength parser
library. It is simple, safe, well documented (on the package
homepage), has extensive libraries and good error messages, and is
also fast.

Changes relative to parsec-2.1.0.1:

  * Added haddocks done for parsec-3

  * in Parsec.Token, sort names after accounting for case sensitivity,
not before
  from: Greg Fitzgerald

When I say that I'm maintaining the parsec2 package, that means I am
accepting bugfix patches and doing work to ensure that the package
builds on the current version of GHC. Patches are welcome to support
building on any other Haskell implementations. Any inovations in the
field of parser combinators will be happening in other venues.
Documentation patches are also welcome.

I'm not quite sure what to do about the fact that both parsec2 and
mainline parsec provide modules of the same name. If there's motion
towards using the parsec2 package, we might be able to deprecate and
then retire the compatibility layer provided by parsec-3.*.

Links:

On Hackage: http://hackage.haskell.org/package/parsec2-1.0.0
Source repository: darcs get http://code.haskell.org/parsec2/parsec2
Report a bug: http://trac.haskell.org/parsec2/newticket