[Haskell-cafe] Re: GSoC: Improving Cabal's Test Support

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 12:38:29 EDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 1:24 AM, Richard G. <richardg at richardg.name> wrote:
> I think that formatted plain-text output would be much better than XML,
> something that is human-readable and relatively easy to parse via machine.
>  Something similar to the GHC error output would work well because
> developers are familiar with it.

I don't think we need to be limited to a single output format.  It's a
simple thing to have continuous integration (or cabal) invoke tests
with a flag/option to output in a specific format.  XML is useful
because there are a number of mature tools that already expect xml --
we don't need to reinvent the wheel to get some of the capabilities
that  developers in other languages are enjoying if our tools use some
of the same formats (despite the issues that may exist with those
formats..).

I like your suggestion for an emacs/dev-readable format, and it can
coexist with xml and other "snazzier" outputs (such as the default
format for test-framework, which uses many little tricks to draw and
erase progress bars / etc.)

--Rogan