[Haskell-cafe] Re: GSoC: Improving Cabal's Test Support

Thomas Tuegel ttuegel at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 09:24:36 EDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 4:30 AM, Richard G. <richardg at richardg.name> wrote:
> I think that, rather than having Cabal try to combine the results of
> different frameworks, Cabal should specify interfaces that frameworks need
> to conform to.
>
> E.g., rather than integrating test-framework into Cabal so that HUnit works
> with it, modify HUnit so it emits the format that Cabal wants. And modify
> test-framework to emit the format that Cabal wants so, if someone can't
> convert their test suite to the CabalTest format, test-framework can act as
> an intermediary and handle the conversion of output.

I think this is what we've ultimately decided to do, although we have
yet to decide exactly what format Cabal should expect test results to
be in.

I realize that it's a little difficult to follow this discussion,
since the proposal was in a state of flux.  I think you can read my
proposal at the GSoC site, but the proposal submission form kinda
mangled my formatting.  There is a public Google Documents version of
my proposal at

https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AZzNFnSY9FOeZGd6MnQ4cWNfM2Q2N2J0OWZn&hl=en

which should be up-to-date and contain all the information you need.

--
Thomas Tuegel