[Haskell-cafe] Profiling

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at web.de
Tue Apr 20 13:54:26 EDT 2010

Am Dienstag 20 April 2010 18:59:23 schrieb C K Kashyap:
> Hi Ivan,
> I tried doing
>
> > cabal install "parsec >= 3" --reinstall --enable-library-profiling
>
> This complained about bytestring ... so I did this -
>
> > cabal install "bytestring" --reinstall --enable-library-profiling
>
> And this complained about base -
> Data/ByteString.hs:278:7:
>     Could not find module `GHC.ST':
>       Perhaps you haven't installed the profiling libraries for package
> `base'?
>       Use -v to see a list of the files searched for.
> bytestring-0.9.1.5 failed during the building phase. The exception was:
> exit: ExitFailure 1
> [kashyap at trinity318 ~]$ cabal install "base" --reinstall
> --enable-library-profiling
> Resolving dependencies...
> cabal: internal error: impossible
>

> Am I missing something?

You cannot reinstall or upgrade core libs (basically, what comes with the
compiler).
If your GHC came from a system package (and I think the binaries from the
GHC page include profiling libs and they're built by default when building
GHC from source, so you wouldn't have that problem), you probably don't
have installed the package with the profiling libraries, something like

yum/apt-get install libghc??-prof

should get you the profiling libraries for base, bytestring and a few
others, then
cabal install "parsec >= 3" --reinstall --enable-library-profiling
should work.