[Haskell-cafe] Re: US Patent for the idea ...

Murray Gross mgross21 at verizon.net
Sat Apr 17 03:15:48 EDT 2010

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010, Brian Hulley wrote:

>> see the patent 6,368,227. The search site is here:
>> http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.htm
>> Best regards.
>> Jerzy Karczmarczuk

It's really almost not fair to cite that particular patent, since, if I
recall the story correctly (I may be wrong in small detail, but I am sure
of the general picture), that patent was filed by an attorney as a
demonstration to his son how the system works. It was never filed as a
serious patent. Yes, it may show how poorly the examiners are doing their
job, but I think this particular patent really doesn't reflect on the poor
service we are currently receiving from the entire patent system--I would
like to think that the examiner knew perfectly well that this patent was
not serious and was willing to play along.

Murray Gross