[Haskell-cafe] Re: US Patent for the idea ...

Brian Hulley brianh at metamilk.com
Sat Apr 17 02:48:41 EDT 2010

jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr wrote:
> Brian Hulley reports a search similar to :
>
>>    haskell unicode bidirectional
>
> Comment irrelevant to Haskell, sorry.
> Everybody does his/her various jobs. But I lost all respect due to people
> who work in the US Patent Office, when I saw the patent 6,025,810, a patent
> for an antenna which sends signals faster than light, using some mysterious
> new dimension. Or the U.S. Patent 6,960,975 for an anti-gravity device.
> It seems that although it is illegal to break some local regulations, the
> idea of breaking fundamental physical laws remains perfectly legal. (In
> some countries...)
> Somebody finally decided to ridiculise the system. If you want a good
> laugh,
> see the patent 6,368,227. The search site is here:
> http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.htm
> Best regards.
> Jerzy Karczmarczuk

Hi Jerzy,
Yes that one is very funny.
Also the existence of the other patents just show how ridiculous the
system is.

So thanks, that humour has helped me get back down to earth and away
from all kinds of fruitless imaginations about the state of the world. I
think my mind is best suited to functional programming *only*... ;-)

Cheers, Brian.