[Haskell-cafe] What is the consensus about -fwarn-unused-do-bind ?

Malcolm Wallace malcolm.wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Fri Apr 9 10:43:25 EDT 2010

> (before anyone tells me I should be using an Applicative style
> instead, polyparse doesn't support Applicative, so I can't)

Well, polyparse may not support the Applicative class defined in
Control.Applicative, but it _does_ have an applicative interface using
other names for the same operators (namely, pure == return, (<*>) ==
apply, (<*) == discard, (<|>) = onFail).

> 2. Use some function of type "(Monad m) => m a -> m ()" instead of
> doing
>     "_ <-".

This function was discussed on the libraries list in the last year or
so.  I think the consensus name for it was "void".  Of your 4
alternatives, I quite like this one.

Regards,
     Malcolm