[Haskell-cafe] GHC LLVM ARM Cross Compilation

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Thu Apr 8 00:23:41 EDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 6:06 PM, Nathaniel Neitzke <nightski at gmail.com>wrote:

> I saw the Google Summer of Code project for using LLVM to cross compile for
> other architectures such as ARM.  Professionally I write embedded Linux code
> that targets ARM processors such as the TI DaVinci DM355 and am
> very intrigued by the potential use of Haskell for future projects.
> If I was interested in attempting to add support for LLVM ARM
> cross-compilation, are there any thoughts on what parts would have to be
> modified to do so?  Or has work already been conducted in this area?

I'm not a GHC hacker, but my understanding goes like this:
  1) the version of ghc in darcs has support for using LLVM to generate code
on at least x86.
  2) GHC has never really work as a cross compiler, but there is an active
push to change this.

The GHC wiki is here:

If you want to get started on understanding the source and hacking on it,
there are pages for that:

Probably the best thing you can do is get on the GHC mailing list:

Good luck!