[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell.org re-design

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at web.de
Wed Apr 7 13:18:52 EDT 2010

Am Mittwoch 07 April 2010 18:53:28 schrieb Thomas Schilling:
> Yup, I have to agree.  The Ruby web site certainly is the best web
> site for a programming language that I've come across, but it's
> certainly not "amazing".  I like the python documentation design, but
> their home page is a bit dull.

Agreed. But I prefer dull over too flashy, so don't exaggerate.

> Anyway, here's another variation, this time with more colour:
>
> http://i.imgur.com/Lj3xM.png

Not bad, but the black background for the "Haskell is an advanced ..."
blurb is ugly. Having the text directly on the background image would be
better, I think.

>   (b) A little redundancy is no problem at all.  I try to follow the
> inverted pyramid model: put all the important information at the top,
> and add more details below.  If that leads to a small amount of
> duplication so be it.

+1 A little redundancy can be a great help sometimes, just keep an eye on
the amount of duplication.

>   (c) As mentioned before, we don't want a perfect home page, we
> simply want a better one.  Incremental improvements can be made later
> on.

Again: Aye, very much so.