[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell.org re-design

Thomas Schilling nominolo at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 7 12:53:28 EDT 2010

Yup, I have to agree.  The Ruby web site certainly is the best web
site for a programming language that I've come across, but it's
certainly not "amazing".  I like the python documentation design, but
their home page is a bit dull.  Anyway, here's another variation, this
time with more colour:

http://i.imgur.com/Lj3xM.png

The image is about 80k (while the website alone is < 10k) so I hope
there won't be any bandwidth issues.  Regarding the particular
contents:

  (a) I won't post another version for every tiny wibble.  You know,
you can actually post text via email (yes, really!) so if anyone has
improvements for how the sections should look like, post the suggested
alternative contents on this list.

  (b) A little redundancy is no problem at all.  I try to follow the
inverted pyramid model: put all the important information at the top,
and add more details below.  If that leads to a small amount of
duplication so be it.

  (c) As mentioned before, we don't want a perfect home page, we
simply want a better one.  Incremental improvements can be made later
on.

  (d) Who actually *can* update the homepage?  Ian, Ross, Malcolm, Simon M?

  (e) I don't have an iPhone, *Droid, or iPad, so I'd need some help
testing on any of those.

  (f) The design is not fixed width, and most sizes are specified in
terms of font size or percentages.  I merely added a max-width
restriction so that it still looks decent on maximised screens.  I
tried to remove it, but that just doesn't look good anymore.

On 7 April 2010 14:19, Daniel Fischer <daniel.is.fischer at web.de> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch 07 April 2010 04:09:17 schrieb Gregory Crosswhite:
>> While I think that (d) is a valid concern, it is also important not to
>> let the perfect be the enemy of the good.  If we agree that the proposed
>> web site layout is sufficiently better than the current one and is "good
>> enough" aesthetically, then I think we should go ahead and switch to the
>> new layout and *then* start thinking about how we could make it
>
> Good plan.
>
>> *completely amazing* like the Ruby web site,
>
> www.ruby-lang.org ?
>
> Sure, that looks pretty good, but "completely amazing"?
>
>> because if we demand
>> completely amazing for our *first* try then I fear that all that will
>> happen is that nothing will change because the bar will have been set
>> too high.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Greg

Push the envelope.  Watch it bend.