[Haskell-cafe] Integers v ints

Jens Blanck jens.blanck at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 06:03:33 EDT 2010

Thanks for your replies.

In particular to Jon for the reference to the Haskell 98 standard and the
comment about language design.

If anyone has further references to Haskell 98 or Erlang, I'm still
interested.

Regarding cost, I do see the difference in factors (Integer - Int, and
computable real - Double) as being relevant, but not necessarily a
show-stopper.

Regarding co-semidecidable equality, I'll just note that any numerical
analyst knows that you're not allowed to compare for equality in Double
either. Rationals or the real algebraic closure do have decidable equality
but are, as far as I know, even more costly to compute with.

Thanks,
Jens