[Haskell-cafe] Hackage accounts and real names

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Sun Apr 4 23:03:26 EDT 2010

On Apr 4, 2010, at 22:57 , Ivan Lazar Miljenovic wrote:
> "Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" <allbery at ece.cmu.edu> writes:
>> (Several people I know who do this are fairly active in the bi, poly,
>> and/or BSDM communities and are justifiably worried that HR would
>> take
>> a dim view of it being possibly associated with their company.)
>
> I can understand wishing to be anonymous in these kinds of situations,
> but in terms of submitting open source software?  Unless their
> employer
> is worried about them releasing proprietary software on Hackage, I
> don't
> see the potential for embarrasment there.

It's more about wanting to keep their non-work-related stuff under a
*common* ID, but not one that can be tied back to their work persona.
A sort of rigorously-policed double life.  There are people who do
this, and if they ever are able to release something work-related
they'll ask for a separate account for that.

(Be it noted that I don't work that way; anyone who wants to search
for me in Usenet archives can determine that pretty quickly. :/ But I
can understand the impulse.)

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu