[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskellers hate GUIs!!

Rafael Cunha de Almeida assinante at kontesti.me
Fri Apr 2 13:33:04 EDT 2010

Stephen Tetley <stephen.tetley at gmail.com> disse:
> On 2 April 2010 17:53, Dominic Espinosa <dcespin at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
> [SNIP]
>
>> I ended up rewriting it in another language (due to time
>> pressure) and I'm a little wary of attempting to use Haskell again for
>> developing such an application.
>
> Hi Dominic
>
> Out of curiosity what language did you choose instead?
>
> Each time a thread comes up on the Cafe documenting GUI woes, I always
> wonder if Python or other languages[*] have such problems and if not
> why not.

For better or worse python interpreter comes with Tk. So, if you develop your
application to use Tk, as ugly as it may look, it will work in every platform
supported by the python interpreter. However, if you want to use pygtk, you
still have to install gtk runtime.

When using haskell, can't you just make a static binary on MacOS and Windows,
though? Why wouldn't that work?