[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskellers hate GUIs!!

Dominic Espinosa dcespin at fastmail.fm
Fri Apr 2 12:53:45 EDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 02, 2010 at 07:41:38AM -0700, David Leimbach wrote:
>    Having said that, are there any plans to make it really easy to get gtk2hs
>    working on Mac OS X?

I think this is an important issue in developing run-of-the-mill GUI
apps in Haskell. I recently wrote a small application using gtk2hs, but
found it nearly impossible to deploy. I developed it on Linux (where
installing all the infrastructure is not too hard, or at least people
are used to doing so), but the work required to get it to run on MacOS X
seemed extreme. I ended up rewriting it in another language (due to time
pressure) and I'm a little wary of attempting to use Haskell again for
developing such an application. I didn't even try getting it to work on
Windows; maybe that's easier. On the plus side, I found developing with
gtk2hs to be straightforward.

Is there a general strategy for deploying Haskell apps, graphical or no,
to MacOS X and/or Windows? I'm especially interested in cases where the
application uses some heavyweight libraries like OpenGL.