[Haskell-cafe] Haskell.org re-design

Ben Millwood haskell at benmachine.co.uk
Thu Apr 1 23:36:26 EDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 12:40 AM, Christopher Done
<chrisdone at googlemail.com> wrote:
> That's true, it's a nice idea but in practice it's hard to know where
> to focus. I've gone with a left nav. I've built up the HTML which is
> cross-browser (ie6/7/8/opera/firefox/safari/chrome compat), still need
> to add some bits but I can tomorrow import it into a wikimedia skin.
> It's kind of easy to re-shuffle now that I've built it.
>
> http://82.33.137.16/haskell-website/
>
> Feedback would be appreciated.

There isn't a lot of visual separation between the nav bar and the
main content. I think a border or background colour change might be
nice.
Also, when I let my firefox window fill the screen there's whitespace
on the left and right, when I share my screen with another window the
site doesn't fit horizontally - it doesn't adjust well to changing
window widths.
Also, in the nav bar it should be clearer when an item is linewrapping
and when it is next in the list - on the left it looks like we have
* The Haskell Platform
* Glasgow Haskell
* Compiler
* ...
so, bullet points or adjusted vertical spacing might help there.
Also still quite grey. But I do like the focus on current events - the
first impression you get visiting that page is that Haskell is alive
and well, and people are using and developing it right now. The
pictures of Real People smiling and huddling together really do help
the friendly image we've managed to acquire (and should guard with
utmost vigil, in my opinion).
I think that the About and Learning sections of the original website
are good section titles, and would work well on the navbar. The
easiest thing to do on visiting the website is read about why Haskell
is so great, and where to find out how to use it.