[Haskell-cafe] Haskell.org re-design

Twan van Laarhoven twanvl at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 23:12:46 EDT 2010

Christopher Done wrote:
> That's true, it's a nice idea but in practice it's hard to know where
> to focus. I've gone with a left nav. I've built up the HTML which is
> cross-browser (ie6/7/8/opera/firefox/safari/chrome compat), still need
> to add some bits but I can tomorrow import it into a wikimedia skin.
> It's kind of easy to re-shuffle now that I've built it.
>
> http://82.33.137.16/haskell-website/
>
> Feedback would be appreciated.
>
> One has to think, what do I really want to see on the home page?

Two important things I am missing are:

  * A link to the documentation. Perhaps as a button in the top row.

  * A link to tutorial(s) / Real World Haskell.

Besides the download button, these are the important things that new users look
for when they land on the home page.

This design looks too much like the Haskell Community homepage, not the Haskell
Programming Language home page.

Some more things:

  * I think that the links on the left are confusing and unnecessary, since
there is already a menu at the top.

  * Why would there be a 'links' page? All links fall either under 'community'
or 'news' or 'download'.

  * Perhaps have a tab named 'events', and put all the event stuff there?

  * (minor) the buttons on the top row have a dent at the top (in Firefox 3.6 on
windows)

Twan