[Haskell-cafe] Market Place for Haskell development teams?

John A. De Goes john at n-brain.net
Wed Sep 30 09:16:02 EDT 2009

The cross-platform features have been extremely important to the
success of Java, because they have greatly expanded the number of
libraries available to developers.

On Haskell Cafe, not a week goes by that Windows (and sometimes Mac)
developers don't complain about not being able to use some Hackage
library because of cross-platform issues. The actual number of people
encountering these issues is orders of magnitude larger than the
number of posts you see here. These issues impede the growth of
Haskell significantly.

Moreover, the importance of cross-platform libraries on the Java
platform is evinced by the fact that developers of major native
libraries _always_ make their libraries cross-platform (Jogl,
jmonkeyengine, swt, etc.). They wouldn't go to this trouble if it
weren't something the community was demanding.

 From a risk management perspective, a manager really likes the
ability to seamlessly move across platforms and architectures without
recompilation. 32 -> 64? No problem. Linux -> BSD? Sure, why not? Yes,
I'm sure even Amazon, Yahoo, and Google make these kinds of
considerations.

Regards,

John A. De Goes
N-Brain, Inc.