[Haskell-cafe] unicode text libraries

Paulo Tanimoto tanimoto at arizona.edu
Mon Sep 28 19:19:50 EDT 2009

Hi Bryan and others,

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 5:29 PM, Bryan O'Sullivan <bos at serpentine.com> wrote:
> bytestring predates the other two libraries by several years. The underlying
> stream type for uvector and text are almost the same, so they could in
> principle be merged. There's a fair amount of duplication there, but uvector
> is in some ways more complicated and in others much less thorough than text.
> Merging them would be a lot of work!

If I may free-ride on this thread: how should one go about deriving a
Data.Binary instance for text?  It looks like doing it efficiently
would require using some parts of the internal module that are not
exposed, am I correct?  I've been using "encodeUtf8", but that doesn't
feel right.  I don't know what to do, hopefully I'm missing something
simple.

I agree with Duncan, the text API is beautifully designed.

Thanks!

Paulo