[Haskell-cafe] unicode text libraries

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at serpentine.com
Mon Sep 28 18:29:05 EDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 3:00 PM, Alexander Dunlap <
alexander.dunlap at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just have a question out of curiosity - why was the decision made to
> have Data.Text, uvector, and ByteString all separate data structures,
> rather than defining the string types in terms of uvector?

bytestring predates the other two libraries by several years. The underlying
stream type for uvector and text are almost the same, so they could in
principle be merged. There's a fair amount of duplication there, but uvector
is in some ways more complicated and in others much less thorough than text.
Merging them would be a lot of work!