HECC License (was: [Haskell-cafe] Haskell Weekly News: Issue 130 - September 12, 2009)

Marcel Fourné marcel at bitrot.dyndns.org
Sun Sep 13 04:26:08 EDT 2009

Thomas DuBuisson wrote:

>>   hecc-0.1. Marcel Fourné [5]announced the first release of hecc,
>> the Elliptic Curve Cryptography Library for Haskell. Implemented are
>>   affine, projective, jacobian and modified jacobian point formats
>> with the basic operations. Included as an Example is a basic ECDH as
>> well as a basic speed test.
>
>This is great news

Thanks for your interest!

>- I hope it finds its way into the crypto library.

Erm, I didn't plan that atm, but might be a nice idea. Will have to
look up their API and brush my code up "a bit". My interface is just
written to keep up with the "strange" bitlength of ECC-curves, like
NIST-P521 (that is no typo, it is _not_ 512bit), NIST-P244, NIST-P571
etc., so I see it as not directly fitting to use size-of-2-length
Datatypes. That might give some speedup at the cost of wasting space,
but I haven't tried it.

>One question - is this license a derivative of something  I would have
>heard about?  IANAL, but have just read the license it sounds fairly
>permissive in that it doesn't mandate distribution of source code
>(BSDish).  Was this the intent?  Did I miss something?

Yeah, it's the MIT X11 License and by the virtue of that it grants for
all practical purposes the same rights as the BSD3, but there is no way
to mix it up with the BSD4, which is the reason I chose it.

--
Marcel Fourné
OpenPGP-Key-ID: 0x74545C72