[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: Palindromes 0.1

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Thu Sep 10 15:16:29 EDT 2009

On Sun, 6 Sep 2009, Johan Jeuring wrote:

> The primary features of Palindromes include:
>
> *  Linear-time algorithm for finding exact palindromes
> *  Linear-time algorithm for finding text palindromes,
>  ignoring spaces, case of characters, and punctuation
>  symbols.

  You made me curious, whether there are palindromes in my texts. However,
I have some difficulties getting sensible results from it. First I found a
long palindrome, that was actually a code example for an array definition.
So I wondered, whether this palindrome shadows nicer shorter palindromes
in the same text. How about an option for showing the n longest
palindromes or palindromes with length larger than n? Then I found a
palindrome in
   Functi[on sin is no]t defined
  How about restricting text palindromes to sequences that are bounded by
space and punctuation? The Palindrome welcome message is a bit disturbing
when running palindrome on a set of files. I also like to filter out HTML
markup (with strip-html from tagchup package), before piping into
palindrome. This however would require to run palindrome on standard
input. The options are '-x' for a single answer and '-xs' for multiple
answers, but for '-ts' this logic does not hold. How about '-lt' or '-tl'
? I would like to have '-ts' to print all text palindromes (or actually, I
would like to get all palindromes with at least 5 characters).

> Documentation
>
> The API is documented using Haddock and available on the Palindromes package
> site.

It says, that the executable is FindingPalindromes, but actually it is
palindromes, right?

Pretty much suggestions, I know. Don't get worried and thank you for the
program!