[Haskell-cafe] wxMac/wxHaskell focus problem, a quick solution

Iain Barnett iainspeed at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 18:17:30 EDT 2009

On 29 Oct 2009, at 20:52, Miguel Mitrofanov wrote:

>> Open up XCode and there are a lot of different types of projects
>> to choose from, and then you have to know how to use the IDE. This
>> is just a quick project set up for anything you want to do that is
>> straightforward.
>
> So... Does it mean that you LIKE programming in XCode, even when
> using Haskell? Wow.

I don't understand what you mean? What I meant is that I never use
XCode, and therefore I don't know which projects to choose or how to
use it, and it would take a lot of time to change that.

> Seems like it just works. Of course, I agree that it's a bit hard
> to find, but it's here without installing any third-party scripts.

macosx-app *is* a 3rd party script - it doesn't come with OSX does
it? and it's still not as easy to use as an applescript. That's why
applescript refuses to die while being the hardest language ever
devised to write in. I also think the plist the macosx-app script
builds isn't that good.

> MigMit$ /usr/local/wxhaskell/bin/macosx-app --help

It's pretty difficult to run the --help arg if you don't know the
script even exists. What's wrong with a README that says "If you're
having problems running your executable on OSX then you need to use
macosx-app in the bin dir..." ?

> usage:
>   macosx-app [options] <program (a.out)>

>   --help | -?         show this information
>   --verbose | -v      be verbose

help and verbose. That's not helpful at all.

Use whichever method suits you best, but I shouldn't have to dick
around all day finding badly documented scripts that don't even work
as well as the one I had to do for myself, and perhaps others feel
the same.

Iain