[Haskell-cafe] Cabal says "no installed version of base"

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 27 05:28:39 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-10-21 at 16:05 -0700, John Velman wrote:
> I'm on OS X Leopard 10.5.8, using ghc 6.10.4 from Haskell Platform.
>
> I'm trying to get a static .a library, callable from C, that I can use in
> an OS X Cocoa program.  I've tried a very simple case (the one in Haskell
> Wiki Tutorials,"calling haskell from C") I've managed to make a Mac Cocoa
> application by adding the ghc generated .o program, plus adding one by one
> the needed Haskell libraries for "symbol not found" to my Xcode project.
> There should be a better way.
>
> I've tried just about everything I could find on creating Haskell
> libraries, with no joy.  My latest try is to use Cabal, following advice
> found both in "How to write a Haskell program" and the Cabal users guide.
>
> My output from cabal -v configure tells me, among others:

Is that the full command you ran? No other flags or arguments? I'm
assuming you're using cabal-install version 0.6.2.

According to the source it only produces that error in response to a top
level constraint passed on the command line. It internally adds such a
dependency, to make sure the solver never tries to pick a version of
base from hackage. The problem could be that your base package is broken
(missing dependencies) and thus the constraint on an installed base
cannot be satisfied.

When you run ghc-pkg list base, does it list it in {}'s? Does ghc-pkg
check report any problems?

Duncan