[Haskell-cafe] STM in .NET

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Sat Oct 10 17:01:19 EDT 2009

Thomas DuBuisson wrote:
>> (I notice that it relies on the user manually annotating anything that isn't
>> safe to revert... This makes me nervous.)
>>

> So due to impurity everything that isn't explicitly annotated is
> implicitly 'unsafeIOToSTM'?

It seems that instead of marking the handful of things which are safe to
run, you must mark the zoo of things that are not safe to run.

Then again, by the looks of it, the compiler can't automatically decide
if a given function is safe by which other functions it calls. It's
manual. So if you had to manually mark things safe, you'd be marking all
day...