[Haskell-cafe] Happstack + network package issue on the Mac

Anton van Straaten anton at appsolutions.com
Fri Oct 9 16:17:02 EDT 2009

Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 7:25 AM, Gregory Collins <greg at gregorycollins.net
> <mailto:greg at gregorycollins.net>> wrote:
>

>     There's been an open ticket for months; personally I think this is a job
>     for the C preprocessor, but nobody's written a patch yet.
>

> Is there an open ticket against the network package? Can someone write a
> simple standalone repro for me that doesn't require happstack (i.e. only
> depends on network)? I have access to a Mac and Johan and I co-maintain
> the network package, so in principle this shouldn't be hard to fix,
> given enough details and pointers.

I have the impression that the problem is at least partly with TH on the
Mac, and there may not even be any relevant bug in the network package.
   It's possible that the network package could provide some additional
support to help Happstack solve this another way, though.

The main problem that Happstack faces here is to avoid referencing the
SockAddrInet6 constructor if it doesn't exist, i.e. if the network
package was compiled without IPv6 support.

If Happstack had some reliable/portable way of accessing
IPV6_SOCKET_SUPPORT, a C #define used by the network package, this could
easily be done with the C preprocessor.  I don't think Cabal is up to
that task, though.  Happstack would probably have to use its own
configure script (it doesn't have one right now) to determine IPv6
status for itself, and hope that it matches what the network package
found when it was compiled.

The current solution in Happstack is to use TH to detect IPv6 support in
the network package, by testing for the existence of the SockAddrInet6
constructor, as follows (reformatted slightly for email):

-- find out at compile time if the SockAddr6 / HostAddress6 constructors
-- are available
supportsIPv6 :: Bool
supportsIPv6 = $(let c = "Network.Socket.SockAddrInet6"
                      d = ''SockAddr in
                  do TyConI (DataD _ _ _ cs _) <- reify d
                     if isJust (find (\(NormalC n _) -> show n == c) cs)
                        then [| True |]
                        else [| False |] )

If I had access to a Mac, the first thing I'd do is check what
supportsIPv6 is getting set to, and whether it changes depending on the
version of the network package being used.

However, some comments many months back seemed to indicate that
supportsIPv6 might be getting set correctly, and that the problem was
happening later.  In that case, it would be in
Happstack/Server/HTTP/Socket.hs, which contains this test:

   let peer = $(if supportsIPv6

If supportsIPv6 is False, or somehow incorrectly treated as False, then
the error message being reported could happen if the provided socket is
actually IPv6.

Alternatively, if the True branch is taken, then a TH-encoded case
expression is used to match the SockAddr value, without having to
reference the SockAddrInet6 constructor directly in code.  But if this
the part that executes, then for some mysterious reason, it is failing,
only on the Mac, to match the appropriate constructor.  That sounds like
a fascinating bug!  I hope someone with a Mac will track it down and let
us know what was happening...

Anton