[Haskell-cafe] Small Japi binding for GHC

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Sun Nov 8 04:02:27 EST 2009

Philippos Apolinarius <phi500ac at yahoo.ca> writes:

> So, I searched for JAPI bindings for Haskell. The only library I found
> was something called Small Japi binding for GHC.  The package  is
> incomplete, and  bug ridden.

I don't know anything about this particular library, but this happens.
Now that we have Cabal and Hackage making tons of libraries easily
available, what's still missing is a good way of ranking equivalent
libraries by completeness and usefulness.

> I wonder whether the author fixed the
> bugs, completed the package, and added more examples.

Did you try to identify and email the original author?

> In the mean time, I fixed the bugs of Small Japi Binding, and
> added a few important components (j_textfield, j_settext, j_gettext,
> j_button, etc.) Of course, a link to a more recent version of the
> official binding will save me a  lot of work.

If nothing else, perhaps you would make your modifications available?
That way, the next JAPI user will have less trouble than you did.
(Assming the license allows it, of course.)

-k