[Haskell-cafe] What's the deal with Clean?

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Thu Nov 5 16:52:20 EST 2009

Martin DeMello wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 10:34 AM, Richard O'Keefe <ok at cs.otago.ac.nz> wrote:
>
>> (4) It comes with its own IDE.  I don't think it can do anything much that
>>    Haskell tools can't do, but if you don't like looking for things, it's
>>    a help.
>>

> And a well-integrated GUI toolkit. If it weren't for the Windows bias
> I'd have definitely taken the time to learn the language.

I'm dissapointed that Haskell doesn't have *more* of a Windows bias. It
_is_ the platform used by 90% of the desktop computers, after all. (As
unfortunate as that undeniably is...)

In particular, I really wish we could make is so that stuff from Hackage
actually compiles on Windows. (Disclaimer: Stuff written in Haskell
compiles just fine. It's FFI bindings that unanimously refuse to
compile.) It's also somewhat irritating that the I/O libraries have a
few quirks apparently related to mingw32. But hey, that one at least
should be fixable...