[Haskell-cafe] What's the deal with Clean?

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 05:05:45 EST 2009

Hello David,

> I think that's in a way what's Bulat is saying : for Haskell to
> really compete with C in *his view*, if I understand it, the
> compiler has to be able to take idiomatic Haskell code, and
> translate it in idomatic C code or better.

> In short, maybe Bulat wishes to be able to write the time-critical
> parts of his archiver, in Haskell, without resorting to low-level
> hacking. Then he'd be happy with Haskell speed ?

i'm happy with haskell speed since i don't expect that it may be used
for time-critical parts (btw, i mostly use C libraries written by
other people). what i mean is that other people shouldn't expect that
Haskell may compete with C based on meaningless shootout numbers or
rare successful benchmarks published here (unsuccessful benchmarks
are just not published, i hope it's obvious?). the same people that
are proving that haskell is as fast as C when they want, will prove
that Haskell is much slower when they need opposite conclusion. don't
believe ads - check it yourself with code you actually write

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com