[Haskell-cafe] What's the deal with Clean?

David Virebayre dav.vire+haskell at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 04:49:38 EST 2009

I used to think, was I clueless !, that if the compiler was good enough,
then I'd perform magic for me; like transforming that list-based quicksort
in a unboxed, mutable array based one, automatically, if that made sense.
Like I said, I was clueless.

Since then, I understood that while modern GHC compilers are awesome, they
don't compete with Gandalf yet.

I think that's in a way what's Bulat is saying : for Haskell to really
compete with C in *his view*, if I understand it, the compiler has to be
able to take idiomatic Haskell code, and translate it in idomatic C code or
better.

Or said another way, we have to be able to write things like SDL, jpeg or
mpeg processing in Haskell, instead of writing bindings to C libraries,
without losing on performance.

In short, maybe Bulat wishes to be able to write the time-critical parts of
his archiver, in Haskell, without resorting to low-level hacking. Then he'd
be happy with Haskell speed ?