[Haskell-cafe] What's the deal with Clean?

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 08:45:58 EST 2009

Hello Ketil,

> Well, it clearly demonstrates that it is possible to write fast code in
> Haskell.

my measures says that by psending 3x more time than for C you can
optimize haskell code to be only 3x slower than C one

> succinct and correct programs.  (Is it possible to have an alternative
> Haskell "track" in the shootouts?)

even w/o enthusiasts Shootout mainly measure speed of libraries

> Since this was done, there has been great strides in available libraries
> and GHC optimizations, and it'd also be interesting to see whether we
> now are able to optimize ourselves away from much of the overhead.

eh, if it was possible, we have seen this. both on shootout and here
when people are crying that their code isn't as fast as those ads say.
haskell compilation can't yet automatically avoid laziness and convert
pure high-level code into equivalent of C one. libraries doesn't
change anything - they provide low-level optimized solutions for
particular tasks but can't optimize your own code once you started to
write it

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com