[Haskell-cafe] What's the deal with Clean?

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Wed Nov 4 08:31:20 EST 2009

Bulat Ziganshin <bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com> writes:

>> http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u64q/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=ghc&lang2=clean&box=1
>> http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u64q/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=ghc&lang2=ocaml&box=1

>> The Haskell compiler isn't the bottleneck. Use it when performance matters. I do.

> Don, shootout times may be used to measure how many people was
> contributed solutions for each language, but nothing more.

Well, it clearly demonstrates that it is possible to write fast code in
Haskell.

Last time I looked, much of the shootout code was overly complicated
(i.e. "enthusiasts writing low-level code").  And I can't help but notice
that Clean beats Haskell on code compactness.  It'd be interesting to
see how well more naïve/idiomatic code fares.  While it's nice to be
able to write fast programs, the main reason to use Haskell is to write
succinct and correct programs.  (Is it possible to have an alternative
Haskell "track" in the shootouts?)

Since this was done, there has been great strides in available libraries
and GHC optimizations, and it'd also be interesting to see whether we
now are able to optimize ourselves away from much of the overhead.

-k