[Haskell-cafe] Re: Best Editor In Windows

Gregory Crosswhite gcross at phys.washington.edu
Tue Nov 3 15:47:40 EST 2009

The problem with Leo is that although there are rarely performance
problems when navigating and editing the outline, the text pane can be
very slow at times when using the Tk-based GUI --- even on modern
hardware --- because the syntax highlighter is written in Python.
(Incidentally, as much as I love Leo, I also hold it up as an example
of how slow scripting languages aren't always "fast enough" as their
proponents claim.  :-) )

There are two solutions to this:  First, you can use the Qt-based Leo
GUI, which uses the native C++ colorizer built into QtScintilla, which
I have never had any performance problems with.  Since you
(reasonably) really like haskell-mode in Emacs, though, you can
alternatively use the Emacs plugin so that you end up using Leo to
navigate through your code to the chunk that you want to edit, and
then using Emacs to do the actual editing.  This might sound like an
awkward setup, but I actually find that navigating in this way
requires much less mental energy than scanning through multiple flat
files to pick out the code that you want to edit next, and the plugin
makes this type of workflow fairly painless.

Viewing Leo as a "meta-editor" is a good way to think about it.

Cheers,
Greg