[Haskell-cafe] fast Eucl. dist. - Haskell vs C

Kenneth Hoste kenneth.hoste at ugent.be
Mon May 18 08:37:51 EDT 2009

Hello,

For a while now, I've been trying to come up with a fast Haskell-only
function which implements Euclidean distance in n-dimensional space.

So far, I've been disappointed by the performance of my best effort
in Haskell, compared to C. I'm hoping some of the Haskell experts
and/or performance gurus on this list can help me out on resolving this,
and also maybe shed some light on some strange (imho) things I've run
into.

My current best try uses the uvector package, has two 'vectors' of type
(UArr Double)  as input, and relies on the sumU and zipWithU functions
which use streaming to compute the result:

dist_fast :: UArr Double -> UArr Double -> Double
dist_fast p1 p2 = sumDs `seq` sqrt sumDs
         where
                 sumDs         = sumU ds
                 ds            = zipWithU euclidean p1 p2
                 euclidean x y = d*d
                         where
                                 d = x-y

I've been benchmarking this function against various alternatives
using the MicroBench [1] package, which allows to get accurate timings
of
single function calls.
I've also mimicked the MicroBench approach in pure C, to get comparable
timings for a C-only implementation.
The C-only function is quite straightforward:

double dist(int dim, double* p1, double* p2){

         int i;
         double d = 0.0;

         for(i=0; i < dim; i++){
                 d += (p1[i] - p2[i])*(p1[i] - p2[i]);
         }

         return sqrt(d);
}

(Note that the optimizer takes care of the p1-p2 operation
appearing twice in the code).

All code is attached if you'd like to play around with it.

All numbers reported below are using GHC 6.10.2 and gcc 4.3.3
on Linux/x86.

The compilation details can be found in the Makefile attached, but
in short, I'm using -O2 -fexcess-precision or
-O2 -fexcess-precision -fvia-C -optc-O3 with GHC, and -O3 with gcc.