[Haskell-cafe] [SoC] XML Schema Implementation

Paul Johnson paul at cogito.org.uk
Tue Mar 31 09:23:13 EDT 2009

On Mar 31, 2009, at 12:16 AM, Vlad Dogaru wrote:

>> More specifically, I would be interested in the degree the Haskell
>> community uses XML Schema, and if you were tempted to use it if we had
>> an implementation. To further expand the question, how useful do you
>> consider each of these components:
>> * a validator
>> * a pretty-printer
>> * a translator from XML Schema to Haskell, similar to DtdToHaskell[4]
Haskell badly needs better middleware.  At present that means WS-*
stuff, which is all defined in XML Schema.  So the Xmls2Haskell
translator would be a really valuable foundation for that.

Also it would be particularly valuable if the XML Schema parser
generated a parse tree which was then interpreted by the Haskell
generator, as that would make it much easier to build other tools (e.g.
type validators, schema version translators) on top of the XML Schema
parser.

Paul.