[Haskell-cafe] Re: about Haskell code written to be "too smart"

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Wed Mar 25 19:44:53 EDT 2009

Manlio Perillo wrote:
> Heinrich Apfelmus ha scritto:
>>
>> I think you'd have had a much easier time by starting with a proper book
>> right away, like Richard Bird's "Introduction to Functional Programming
>> in Haskell", accompanied by Real World Haskell.
>
> Unfortunately, one year ago Real World Haskell was not here.
> And note that I have no problems with basic functional programming
> concepts.
> My problems are specific to Haskell.

Despite the title, Bird's book is quite specific to Haskell, in
particular concerning the philosophy of composing solutions from
building blocks as opposed to primitive recursion.

I'd say that every serious Haskell programmer should have it on his
bookshelf (even if only for show ;) ).

Regards,
apfelmus

--