[Haskell-cafe] about Haskell code written to be "too smart"

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Tue Mar 24 16:44:34 EDT 2009

Yitzchak Gale ha scritto:
> [...]
> So the bottom line is that Manlio is right, really. It's just
> that Haskell is still very different than what most
> programmers are used to. So it does take a while to
> get a feeling for what is "too smart".

Right, you centered the problem!

The problem is where to place the separation line between "normal" and
"too smart".

Your function is readable, once I mentally separate each step.
For someone with more experience, this operation may be automatic, and
the function may appear totally natural.

When writing these "dense" function, it is important, IMHO, to help the
reader using comments, or by introducing intermediate functions.

Manlio