[Haskell-cafe] The votes are in!

Sean Leather leather at cs.uu.nl
Tue Mar 24 11:12:03 EDT 2009

Eelco Lempsink wrote:

> Given the winner, the possible variations are limited to color (oh, boy),
> coloring (lambda accented, bind accented or all the same) and possible
> font-like things such as the line shapes (much like George Pollard did with
> his variant, entry #50, placed 9th).

I agree that we should have only one more round of voting.

I also like the idea of choosing a logo without text, much like the now
standard feed icon ( http://www.feedicons.com/ ). It allows for
international recognition without dependency on language. It also can be
flexibly used for web and t-shirt designs with multiple fonts. In fact, I
would expect to see a version of this logo become the new favicon (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon ) for haskell.org and other sites, and
there's no room for text there.

Having multiple color combinations would be a bonus. Again, see the feed
icon for a decent example.

I would also like to see how one image looks at different scales, e.g. feed
icon (of course) and very large (for posters). This isn't necessarily a
single image scaled, of course, but it should be obvious that an icon comes
from the same design as a poster splash.

My preference would be to have one person with sense of (and education in,
> if possible) design make some nice looking variations and have a second
> (final) round of voting, but, we could also do the wiki-thing again ;)

I would also like to see skilled designers compete in this round as well. I
don't know whether it should be limited to just one person, one team, or
several teams. The focus is narrower, so the details are more important. It
might be good to have multiple small groups involved.

Regards,
Sean