[Haskell-cafe] Re: Hugs on iPhone

John A. De Goes john at n-brain.net
Tue Mar 24 09:16:57 EDT 2009

Again, go ahead and write your GPL app -- i.e. put your money where
your mouth is. After you spend a year developing some cool app, I'll
take your code and sell it -- maybe under a different name, with
different screenshots, and a different description. Or maybe I'll just
list it in the free section so no one makes any money.

You can't make money selling "tapes" of iPhone apps because no one
wants "tapes" and iPhone apps come exclusively from the iPhone store
(unless you're an iPhone developer).

You simply can't make a living selling GPL software. If the software's
complicated enough and you know your way around it, then you can sell
support & maintenance. However, those conditions doesn't apply to
consumer software, because consumers don't want complicated software.

Regards,

John A. De Goes
N-BRAIN, Inc.
The Evolution of Collaboration