[Haskell-cafe] Re: Hugs on iPhone

Achim Schneider barsoap at web.de
Tue Mar 24 09:00:21 EDT 2009

"John A. De Goes" <john at n-brain.net> wrote:

> Go ahead sell your GPL application. I'll get your code, build the
> application, and sell it for less than half of what you're selling
> it for.
I don't think you can go below 0.79 in the Apple store, and I guess
you'll have a hard time convincing Apple to list your identical program
alongside with the original version.

> How exactly will you make your money, then?
Selling tapes, not software. Unless you invent something like the
internet that gets rid of time needed write tapes and package&shipment
costs, you're going to have a very, very hard time being cheaper than
anybody else unless you live on a different continent, and an
incredibly hard time financing the advertisement you need to place your
product more prominently than RMS can do simply by being himself.

> When people say, "You can't make commercial software with GPL code,"
> they don't mean it's not legally possible to sell GPL code, only
> that it's not commercially viable.
Oh, it is. Id is still selling Quake I data files, and you'll be
surprised how much you're allowed to do since the GPL isn't the Affero