[Haskell-cafe] SoC idea: interactive profiling

Patai Gergely patai_gergely at fastmail.fm
Sun Mar 22 13:24:05 EDT 2009

> although with some hacks one can already have a poor mans real time
> interface for heap profiling:
> http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/users_guide/hp2ps.html#id2677301
I'm aware of that, even did it myself a few times. That's part of the
reason why I want something better. ;)

> I agree that the effect of laziness can be very hard to grasp, sometimes
> it even feels that I traded the annoying side effects from imperative
> programming to "lazy effects" in functional programming... Can't seem to
> have my cake and lazily eat it :-)
It's still less painful than "old-fashioned" side effects. You can
always look at it as an opportunity to better understand your code, at
least for me it was always enlightening in some way when I found the
right spot for a `seq`.

Gergely

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - And now for something completely different