[Haskell-cafe] SoC idea: interactive profiling

Alex Ott alexott at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 11:08:59 EDT 2009

Hello

 PG> Hello all, I entered a little proposal in the issue tracker:

 PG> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code/ticket/1570

 PG> As I see it, the graphical part could be a warm-up exercise with an
 PG> already useful product, and interaction with the rts would be the
 PG> actual challenge. Reasoning about laziness is far from trivial (at
 PG> least I often feel lost when trying to grok all the interaction within
 PG> Reactive ;), and being able to browse profiler output on the spot is
 PG> something I felt the need for a few times already. Eventually, this
 PG> could be a contribution to an IDE project, even though it could as
 PG> well remain a standalone application for all the emacs/vi folk.

 PG> Profiling tools for parallel programs are in the make already, but I
 PG> haven't seen anything more convenient than hp2ps and little add hoc
 PG> solutions for analysing resource usage patterns. How do you all go
 PG> about profiling?

May be providing profiling information for kcachegrind will be a good
solution?  For example, there are tools for PHP, that allow to view
collected information in kcachegrind, and get interactive zooming, etc.

--
With best wishes, Alex Ott, MBA
http://alexott.blogspot.com/        http://xtalk.msk.su/~ott/