[Haskell-cafe] Re: Ease of Haskell development on OS X?

Colin Adams colinpauladams at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 22 06:32:58 EDT 2009

I tried issuing the sudo port install command on the wiki page.

After some time running it failed with:

To fully complete your installation and make python 2.5 the default, please run

        sudo port install python_select
        sudo python_select python25

--->  Cleaning python25
--->  Fetching py25-hashlib
--->  Attempting to fetch Python-2.5.2.tar.bz2 from
http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.5.2/
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for py25-hashlib
--->  Extracting py25-hashlib
--->  Configuring py25-hashlib
--->  Building py25-hashlib with target build
Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd
"/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_python_py25-hashlib/work/Python-2.5.2/Modules"
&& /opt/local/bin/python2.5 setup.py build " returned error 1
Command output: running build
running build_ext
building '_hashlib' extension
creating build
creating build/temp.macosx-10.3-i386-2.5
-DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -I/opt/local/include
-I/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/include/python2.5
-c _hashopenssl.c -o build/temp.macosx-10.3-i386-2.5/_hashopenssl.o
unable to execute -DNDEBUG: No such file or directory
error: command '-DNDEBUG' failed with exit status 1

Error: The following dependencies failed to build: gtk-doc
gnome-doc-utils iso-codes py25-hashlib libxslt py25-gobject
py25-libxml2 py25-numeric rarian getopt gtk2 cairo jasper pango
hicolor-icon-theme libgnomeui gnome-icon-theme icon-naming-utils
p5-xml-simple p5-xml-namespacesupport p5-xml-sax gnome-keyring
autoconf help2man p5-locale-gettext m4 gconf libgcrypt libgpg-error
libtasn1 libbonoboui gnome-vfs libglade2 libgnome esound
libgnomecanvas

Which is singularly uninformative to me. It looks like I am not going
to be able to do any haskell programming next week when I am away with
only a macbook.