[Haskell-cafe] Re: Ease of Haskell development on OS X?

Hans Aberg haberg at math.su.se
Sun Mar 22 06:16:22 EDT 2009

On 22 Mar 2009, at 10:28, Colin Adams wrote:

> OK, I got it installed, but build warned me of duplicate dylibs, and
> running my program gave a bus error.
>
> So I port uninstalled gtk2, so now it compiled without warnings, but
> the program won't run because I had been forced to uninstall pangoft
> to uninstall gtk2.
>
> So now I need to uninstall the gtk framework - how do I do that?
>
> Then i can re-install the macports version and have a working system
> again.

You might move it out of the way:
   sudo mv /opt /opt1
and then move it back. To get rid of ports altogether,
   sudo rm -rf /opt
(But be careful so you type right when removing as root, as errors can
screw up the whole installation.)

I looked up my records - I compiled gtk2hs, and as was remarked, the
one in MacPorts (but not gtk2 alone) insists on installing its own
GHC. When taking down the sources (external to MacPorts) of gtk2hs,
the .tgz ones worked, but the sources from the archive caused some
problems with autoconf - despite intense discussions also on the
gtk2hs list, this problem was left unresolved.

The libraries might cause problems when compiling, because even if a
libpath is included in the compile, if there are system ones
available, then may be used - a GCC quirk. So in such cases, one might
have to edit the libpath so that the system libraries are not at all
there, moving selected one out of the way, using libtools or
something. This is very technical, though.

   Hans Aberg